To help Utah businesses and residents during these challenging times, we have compiled information on energy-related resources. For general information on the State of Utah’s response to COVID-19, including general resources for businesses, please visit



Federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act

The CARES Act is intended to address the immediate economic needs of businesses and individuals. Energy-related provisions of the CARES Act include $900 million for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (known as the “HEAT” program in Utah — more information can be found in the “For Residents” section below).

Small Business Quarantined Employee Grant

The Utah Labor Commission administers a Small Business Quarantined Employee Grant program using federal CARES Act funds as part of Utah’s response to the coronavirus pandemic. Small business employers (Less than 50 employees) can apply for reimbursement if they pay employees to stay home during quarantine or isolation for a maximum of 40 hours per week for a period of up to two calendar weeks. Grants are awarded on a first come, first serve basis for eligible companies meeting the program criteria. December 30, 2020, is the final quarantined or isolated day for which a request may be made under this grant. All grant requests must be made on or before 5:00 p.m., Thursday, January 14, 2021.

Critical Infrastructure COVID-19 Tabletop Exercise Package

Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) developed the COVID-19 Recovery CISA Tabletop Exercise Package (CTEP) to assist private sector stakeholders and critical infrastructure owners and operators in assessing short-term, intermediate, and long-term recovery and business continuity plans related to the COVID-19 pandemic. Approved by the White House Task Force, and with input from the Federal interagency, this CTEP also provides organizations the opportunity to discuss how ongoing recovery efforts would be impacted by concurrent response operations to a potential “second wave” of global pandemic infections.


United Way 2-1-1 (Utah)

United Way 2-1-1 (Utah) connects people to critical health, housing, utilities, and human services information available in their community. You can get assistance online or by dialing 2-1-1.

Utah Home Energy Assistance Target (HEAT) Program

The HEAT program provides winter home heating assistance and year round energy crisis assistance for eligible low-income households (up to 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Level). The HEAT Program is open to the general public from November 1 to April 30 (unless funds run out early — please note that the federal CARES Act provided supplemental funds for this program). If you are in danger of shut-off, use this directory to contact your local HEAT office for crisis assistance year round.

Utah Home Electric Lifeline Program (HELP)

HELP provides qualified Rocky Mountain Power customers with discounts on their monthly electric bills. The best way to apply for HELP is to apply for the HEAT Program (see the Heat Program section above) and get the benefit of both programs. If the HEAT program is closed (May 1 - October 31), or if you want to apply for HELP separately, print this application and follow the instructions at the bottom. For assistance, call 801-521-6107 or toll-free 844-214-3090.

Dominion Energy Bill Discount

Dominion Energy offers the Energy Assistance Fund (EAF), which provides HEAT-qualified customers (see the Heat Program section above) with a one-time credit of $75 during the year. Those who qualify will receive the credit on their bill once the HEAT payment has been applied. HEAT-approved customers will be exempt from paying the monthly EAF fee.

Utah Weatherization Assistance Program

The Weatherization Assistance Program helps low-income individuals and families (up to 200 percent of the Federal Poverty Level) reduce energy costs and increase comfort and safety in their homes. Participating households average nearly 35 percent in savings, or approximately $583 per year, after the completion of weatherization improvements. If you are a homeowner, there is no cost to you. If you rent, your landlord may need to pay an elected portion of the cost. To apply, use this directory to contact the agency that services the county in which you live.

Salvation Army Utilities Assistance

The Salvation Army Utilities Assistance program assists the low-income elderly, disabled, veterans, and families catch up on past due bills, avoid shut off, or get utilities set up in a new residence. Eligible households must be below 150 percent of the Federal Poverty Level and someone in the house must (1) be over 60; or (2) receiving SSI/SSDI; or (3) is a veteran; or (4) a child under 2 is living in the home. If you meet one of the qualifications, please call 801-969-0526 and leave a message stating your name, your phone number, which bill you need help with, and how you qualify.