To participate in the Scholarship Program, students will be required to submit short documentary films exploring some aspect of Utah’s energy sector. Four scholarships will be awarded, one to a student in each of Utah’s four Congressional districts, in the spring of 2016. The $5,000 scholarships will be awarded to students who intend to pursue a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) related course of study at a Utah institute of higher education.
Utah Energy Workforce Scholarship Program
- In order to participate students must currently be an 11th grade student enrolled at any public or private high school in the State of Utah.
- In order to receive a scholarship, students must certify their intent to pursue a STEM course of study at a Utah institution of higher education.
- Scholarship dollars may only be utilized at a public or private institution of higher education located in Utah.
- Videos must be 5-10 minutes long, and must explore some aspect of Utah’s energy industry. These include Conventional, Unconventional, Renewable, Energy Efficiency, Alternative Transportation, Infrastructure and Minerals. See OED’s Energy Success Stories for ideas.
- Videos should explore not only facilities and operations, but also should highlight the energy workforce and explore energy career opportunities.
- Participating students are encouraged to work with energy companies operating in Utah to coordinate site visits and/or interviews with employees.
- Videos must be made through appropriate and legal avenues, with a focus on and attention to all safety standards specific to facilities where filming occurs.
- Videos must be created in a video format capable of being uploaded to YouTube.
Student Participant Resources
- On December 1, 2015, OED will make available a guidance document online that shares basic information about best practices for documentary filmmaking on a shoestring budget, and with limited technology!
- OED will also provide a point-person with a background in videography and documentary filmmaking who will be available to all applicants to answer questions and provide advice throughout the application period. OED is committed to giving students the tools they need to submit successful videos.
- Videos may be submitted to OED (firstname.lastname@example.org) via email attachment and/or link as early as January 1, 2016, and no later than April 30, 2016.
- Four scholarships will be awarded each year, each in the amount of $5,000.
- One scholarship will be awarded to the top applicant in each of Utah’s four Congressional districts.
- Scholarship winners will receive award certificates in May of 2016, and will receive scholarship funds a year later in the summer preceding their first semester in college or university.
For full details please download the above PDF brochure.